Until today I didn’t have/make time to do something with the Raspberry Pies that arrived last week. I also didn’t have an SD-card available, so when the SD-cards I ordered with the RPi’s arrived I booted one of them immediately. The SD-cards came with Raspbian on it so that was easy. In my DHCP-server I found the assigned IP-address so 10 seconds later I was in through SSH. My first goal was to build a printserver for Google Cloudprint and Apple Airprint.
For Apple Airprint I got a bit of help from Rohan Kapoor’s blog, although I didn’t like his photoblog. The most important things where to install CUPS, of course, the Python part of it and the Avahi- daemon to provide mDNS services to announce services to iOS devices. Using the AirPrint Generation Python Script from TJFontaine made this a no-brainer. It works like a charm.
Google Cloudprint was also very easy using the Cloudprint Python tools from Armooo. In order for that to work I needed the libcups2-dev package to provide CUPS- config. I also needed to create an init.d. script, but furthermore it was another no-brainer. Because I am using two-step authentication I need to create an application-specific password, but I assume you are already aware that such might be needed.
The good thing is that I can now print from every device in my house, including every iOS device and my Chromebook. All that using a €25,- computer with almost no power consumption. And last but not least, until my ordered boxes arrive I am using these nice self printed, cut and folded boxes from this site.